Fish: How you can get the most of your wardrobe

Maybe it’s because TLC’s “What Not to Wear” was added to Netflix a week ago, but lately I’ve been chock full of fashion advice. With winter on the way (or already here if you’re from California and think this is as bad as it’s going to get), it’s time to stretch that wardrobe as far as it can go. As your wallets deplete, it’s time to find some low-cost solutions to hold your closet over until Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/parent presents can restock them.

The best thing about having no money is that no one has any money. Do yourself and your equally broke roommate a favor and share your wardrobes. Not the same size? Share belts and scarves. Different shoe sizes? Buy cheap shoe inserts. Or get a new roommate because honestly it might be worth it, if only to double the size of your closet. Implement an open closet policy which allows for her to also take advantage of your closet — and if she doesn’t want that, then what she doesn’t know won’t hurt, right?

Accessorize. Wear hats to distract from that sweater you’ve been wearing the past week. Necklaces and bracelets can dress up any pajamas you have lying around, and, if you put your very large print bag on your lap, BAM, it’s a new shirt. Accessories are cheaper than new clothes, and they can give your ex-boyfriend’s sweatshirt you’re still wearing a new life.

Macklemore said it, and it shall be so. Utilize those thrift stores. There are thousands of already used pieces of clothing that can give you a great new look. Just a few tips to keep in mind while browsing the racks: 1) Not every smell will go away. Beware. 2) Anything can work with the right confidence. Think, ‘Yes! These pants have a hole in the crotch on purpose!’ And anything is fair game, but socks are a big gamble. Never forget that.

Exchange. You have some great outfits, for sure, but you also still have all your volleyball T-shirts and soccer socks. Time for an age old switcheroo! Host a clothing exchange party. Bring old clothes (Febreze is a must here) and trade for clothes that look better on you than they did on your friends. It’s fun for all and won’t cost a thing, except for maybe a few friendships.

Still not sure what to do with a disheveled wardrobe? Good news for you, the “hipster” or “just got fired from my job” look is still in — so attack it with every ripped article of clothing you have! Way too large pants, over-sized shirts and stains all nestle comfortably under this category. Slap a beanie on your head and suddenly you’re right off the runway! Hip and cool doesn’t have to cost much money, and the city is full of dumpsters waiting for you to dig through for the season’s hottest styles.

My final piece of advice? Deal with it. Your closet may not be awesome, but if you wear pajamas for the rest of the quarter, the worst that will happen is someone will mistake you for a senior. Your clothes can be a great expression of who you are, but if it comes down to a night out with your friends or a new crop top from Urban, in the end you’ll remember the night and lose the crop top under your bed (or under someone else’s). Wardrobes are for people in the real world, so we can use that to our advantage. Until then, let’s celebrate our creative solutions to tight budgets and start compiling a Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa/parent presents clothing list!

Maggie Fish is a Communication senior. She can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].