Northwestern again a leader in Fulbright recipients

Joseph Diebold, Campus Editor

Northwestern is once again in the top 10 schools for producing recipients of Fulbright grants, according to a report released in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

NU ranked sixth among research institutions, with 23 seniors, graduate students or recent alumni receiving the awards out of 106 who applied. Harvard University led all schools with 39 recipients.

“Once again, Northwestern students will fan out across the globe to bring their knowledge, energy and dedication to everything from art to engineering and English teaching to public service,” said Stephen Hill, associate director of the University’s Office of Fellowships, in a news release.

One other Fulbright candidate from NU declined the grant to accept two other awards.

NU also placed sixth in the 2012-13 cycle, when 22 were selected for the grants, which are funded primarily by the U.S. government and offer students the opportunity to do research in another country. NU has now placed in the top 10 for eight consecutive years.

The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Arizona State University, Princeton University and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, rounded out the top five.

— Joseph Diebold

About the Writer
Joseph Diebold, Web Editor
Joseph Diebold is one of The Daily’s managing editors and a Weinberg junior. His past positions include Campus editor, Opinion editor and Web editor. He is from Portland, Ore., and has interned at ThinkProgress and Partisans Media. Email: josephdiebold2015@u.northwestern.edu Comments