Living for the city: Halloween in Chicago

I am officially 40 days into my freshman year here at Northwestern. I must say, living 1,800 miles away from home in Arizona has been quite the life-altering transition. The constantly changing colors of leaves on trees — from green to orange to purple — shock me each day. However, this brand-new scenery does not surprise a West Coast girl like me the most. What I am shocked to find is how I already consider Chicago my home. Each day the buildings, parks and streets of Chicago possess the vibe of one big party where everyone is invited. Halloween is no exception. In fact, in Chicago, Halloween is celebrated for an entire season, not simply a single day. Want to get in on the fun but are not sure how to do so? Do you suffer from the poor, hungry college student blues? Do not let the daunting array of activities or even the cost frighten you away. Whether you enjoy Halloween because it’s only the night when wearing that tacky gold spandex is socially acceptable or have an addiction to fun-sized candy, there is an inexpensive Chicago-ween event out there for you.

Here is my breakdown of the classic Halloween activities everybody loves in Chicago this week:

Freaky Deaky V Halloween Costume Party

What: Kick off Halloween week at the ultimate Chicago dance costume party emceed by DJ Griz, rapper Danny Brown, Kill Paris and psychedelic L.A. beat-maker Tokimonsta.

Where: Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave. (at Winthrop Avenue) Uptown, Chicago

When: Oct. 25 at 7 p.m.

Price: $29

Fear City Haunted House

What: Located in Chicago’s iconic Navy Pier, the Fear City is the premiere haunted house in all of Chicago. If you are looking for the scare of your life, be sure to stop by The Fear night show, an adult-themed attraction. If you are looking for some PG-rated scares, Fear City offers the Fear-less daytime show.

Where: Navy Pier, 600 E Grand Ave., Chicago

When: 

Fear-less Daytime Show: Oct. 26 and 27  from 12 to 5 p.m.

The Fear Night Show: Oct. 24-27 and 30 — 31 from 7 to 11 p.m.

Price:

Night shows are $20 for general admission. Visit thefearhauntedhouse.com for a $5 off coupon.

Daytime shows are $12 for general admission. Visit thefearhauntedhouse.com for a $2 off coupon.

Northalsted Halloween Parade

What: Dress up in your costume and participate in the 17th annual Northalsted Halloween parade or simply watch thousands of your fellow Chicagoans walk the parade, which moves through Boystown.

Where: Halsted Street and Belmont Avenue

When: Oct. 31 at 8 p.m.

Price: FREE