Five Words for Jennifer Lawrence’s refusal to diet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jennifer Lawrence poses backstage at the 85th annual Academy Awards. The actress said she refuses to go on a diet for any film roles.

Lawrence K. Ho

Lawrence K. Ho

Lawrence K. Ho

Chanel Vargas, Reporter

A strong role model for young girls, 23-year-old actress Jennifer Lawrence consistently refuses to starve herself or diet for film roles.  Criticized for her decision, Lawrence was recently quoted by Elle magazine as stating, “In Hollywood, I’m obese. I’m considered a fat actress. … I eat like a caveman. I’ll be the only actress who doesn’t have anorexia rumors … (But) I’m never going to starve myself for a part. I keep waiting for that one role to come along that scares me enough into dieting, and it just can’t happen. I’m invincible.”  Hoping to set a positive example for her young female fans, Lawrence refuses to conform to norms set by Hollywood in an attempt to advocate health over image.  To make her point clear, Lawrence was quoted once again saying, “If anybody even tries to whisper the word ‘diet,’ I’m like, ‘You can go f— yourself.’” Northwestern students give their opinions on Jennifer Lawrence’s decision:

“JLaw won’t play hunger games.” — Blake Bakkila

“The Diet Games — out soon.”  — Austin Busch

“Refusal’s easy when you’re skinny.”  — Jonathan Muller

“She’s still skinnier than me.”  — Mackenzie Broderick

“Yes Legend, slay me, Katniss.”  — Faduma Nur

“The result? Those luscious boobs.”  — Laken Howard

“She’s a beautiful honey badger.”  — Becca Ehlers

Chanel Vargas