Street Style: Fall into sweaters

One of the best parts about the weather getting colder (and one of the reasons I chose a university in this location) is fall/winter fashion trends that can work for exponentially more time than in a warmer state. One of my favorite fall/winter trends is the chunky, oversized sweater.

What’s not to like about a thick sweater? For one, you can literally throw an oversized sweater over any pair of leggings or pants and look automatically comfy chic. You don’t need to worry about wearing a shirt or bra underneath because the sweater is thick enough, which makes it even comfier. You get to stay cozy while looking cute.

There are two directions to go with sweaters: basic or crazy. There is no in-between. I’d recommend a mix of both. I brought to school a chunky knit red sweater that goes well below mid-thigh and bought another chunky knit sweater in tan at Crossroads Trading Co. recently. I also brought two oversized men’s sweaters from Savers (a thrift store similar to Goodwill) in crazy 80s patterns. I also have an XL men’s sweater in navy and yellow stripes that literally goes past my knees. It’s perfect for sleeping or for wearing belted as a sweater dress. The goal is either to look as chic as Coco Rocha after a runway show or like a mini Bill Cosby.

As for the bottom half, any solid leggings or jeans work as long as they don’t clash in color with the sweater. You can also wear a skirt or a dress underneath as long as the length is longer than the sweater by a minimum of four inches. Then the look can be finished off with booties, boots or flats and an oversized purse.

Chances are a new oversized sweater will quickly become your favorite item of clothing in your closet so splurging on one is justifiable. If you are willing to spend a little more, check Nasty Gal, Urban Outfitters or Free People, but it is just as easy to find an amazing sweater at a lower price. Crossroads and Second Time Around in Evanston both sell great gently worn sweaters, or try Forever 21, PacSun or Lulu’s. You could also just “borrow” a sweater from a guy friend. 

Oversized sweaters aren’t just great for lounging — they can also be worn for class, brunch and grocery shopping. I’d recommend every girl have at least one of the two different types of sweaters. Happy shopping, Wildcats!

— Alix Kramer

Street Style: Fall into sweaters