Blotter: Oct. 15

Roof worker threatens coworker with utility knife

A roof worker threatened a coworker with a utility knife earlier this month atop a downtown Evanston building, according to police.

At about 6 p.m. Oct. 1, the worker pulled out the knife and threatened to hurt the colleague, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. They had been arguing about a project on the roof in the 1500 block of Chicago Avenue.

No one was injured in the incident, Parrott said.

Parrott said the man who was threatened waited until 10:45 a.m. Saturday to report the incident and did not want police to further investigate.

Jewel-Osco sees 2 liquor thefts in 5 hours

Hard liquor was stolen twice Saturday from the Jewel-Osco near Dempster Street, according to police.

Officers arrested an Evanston woman in connection with the first theft, which happened at 5:11 p.m. Katrina Jackson, 36, put two bottles of Jack Daniel’s whiskey in her purse and tried to walk out of the grocery store, Parrott said.

Less than five hours later, a bottle of 1800 Tequila was taken from the same Jewel-Osco, Parrott said. Security guards tried to stop a 19- to 20-year-old man in a blue hooded sweatshirt from leaving the store, but he made it out and fled west, hopping over a fence along the way.

Parrott said the bottles of whiskey are valued at about $82 and the bottle of tequila at $35.

Jackson, of the 4200 block of North Broadway Avenue, was charged with retail theft and is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 15.

Whole Foods tirade leads to aggravated assault charge

An Evanston man who was taunting Whole Foods employees refused to leave the grocery store and attacked police officers Saturday afternoon, according to police.

Shortly before 9:50 p.m., police responded to an unwanted person call at the grocery store, 1640 Chicago Ave., Parrott said. The employees told officers the man was swearing at and threatening them.

The officers advised Patrick Toran Montress, 45, to leave the store, but he refused, Parrott said. Police surrounded him in a circle and pepper sprayed him before taking him into custody.

Parrott said no one was hurt.

Montress, of the 1400 block of Chicago Avenue, was charged with aggravated assault to a police officer, resisting a police officer and criminal trespassing. He is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 20.

— Patrick Svitek