Wildcat Express Delivery updates services, hopes to expand

Campus catering service Wildcat Express Delivery returned for its fifth year this fall with changes to its offerings and plans to expand.

The business, which operates through Northwestern Student Holdings, delivers food from Evanston restaurants to events hosted by student groups and faculty members. After a summer of brainstorming, chief marketing officer Kevin Harris said this year WED has updated its pricing system and introduced a subscription service, hoping to reach new markets.

In the past, WED delivery prices included service fees that varied depending on the order and restaurant. The business’ new prices have “conglomerated those into one fee,” said CEO Ritij Goel. Customers now pay a flat rate for service.

“We made it into one service fee,” said Harris, a Weinberg sophomore. “That makes it a lot easier, clients are getting a lot more value now. We’re giving them a lot more for that price.”

This year, WED is also offering a subscription-based service for student groups, residential halls and residential colleges, and fraternities and sororities.

“We put together different subscription plans for each type of organization,” Harris said, adding that the plans are based on student groups’ different budgets and frequency of ordering food. Chief operating officer and McCormick junior Jon Feldman said the subscription plans include “built-in discounts” for clients.

WED has already begun delivering daily meals to Delta Chi fraternity, which Goel said will allow the business to significantly increase its quarterly revenue.

The business also has a yearlong project to work on: expanding into new markets. WED hopes to form partnerships with more local restaurants, potentially by offering deals and incentives. It also plans to increase its client base and, in the future, cater to individuals as well as its traditional student group or residential hall customers, Feldman said.

“In addition to getting new clients, we’re also looking to … get different types of clients,” Goel said. “We’re really targeting new markets. That’s essentially the point of NSH, to start and run a company and expand the company. So yes, it’s important to make money off your existing market … but the fun part about NSH is the ability to create something from scratch.”

Harris said he is excited about the business’ initiatives.

“At the end of the day, we’re looking at how we can continue to spread food for the Northwestern community and take advantage of your expertise when it comes to ordering online and delivering,” Harris said.

Twitter: @jeannekuang