Last Days of Summer Playlist

Aditi Bhandari, Blogger

Contrary to what any weather forecaster may say, I refuse to believe that fall has arrived. Yes, the leaves may be changing color. Yes, the air may be thick with the aroma of pumpkin spice lattes. Yes, the temperature is dropping steadily and I may have spent the last few days in a sweater and a peacoat (guys, it’s freezing), but I absolutely REFUSE to believe that summer is well and truly over.

So how do I maintain this state of constant denial? By listening to summery songs of course! Here’s a round-up of some of the best songs to play when you feel like basking in the sunshine, even as the leaves crunch under your feet.

1.     Sun – Two Door Cinema Club

Seriously though, the brass section in this song is AMAZING. And they’re coming to Chicago this October. Go and see them if you get the chance to, you will not regret it.

2.     Chasing The Sun – Sara Bareilles
Not to be confused by the song by The Wanted, this is one of Sara Bareilles’ latest releases, fresh off of her third album “The Blessed Unrest.” Watch out for that sudden high note in the chorus.

3.     Here Comes The Sun – The Beatles

George Harrison is said to have written this song in Eric Clapton’s garden. It’s also probably one of his most famous contributions to the band’s discography, along with “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”

4.     Pocketful Of Sunshine – Natasha Bedingfield

Here’s another one of those super-catchy songs that is impossible to not sing while in the shower. My sincerest apologies to your floormates.

5.        The Sun – Maroon 5

This is one of Maroon 5’s earliest songs released all the way back in 2002. (When we were practically babies.) Don’t get me wrong, I totally identify with “Moves Like Jagger” but sometimes I really wish they’d return to their old sound.

6.     Sun Hits The Sky – Supergrass

In all honesty, I first heard this song on an ad on TV a couple of years ago. It’s almost ironic how this song was produced in London, which receives about 5 days of sunshine a year.

7.     Walking On Sunshine – Katrina & The Waves

CAUTION: IF YOU ARE INDEED LISTENING TO THIS PLAYLIST IN THE SHOWER, THEN SKIP THIS SONG. You will have to physically restrain yourself from dancing around. The Current will not be held responsible for any injuries caused by unsafe dancing.

8.     All Summer – Kid Cudi, Best Coast & Vampire Weekend

One of the best collaborations of 2010, the song was the result of the Converse “Three Artists. One Song” drive that brings three pretty diverse musicians together to create a song that is then available as a free download.

9. The Boys Of Summer – Don Henley

So I first heard this song on the radio when I was 5 years old, and for reasons still unknown to me, it ended up giving me nightmares. Years later, I’ve realized that it’s actually not that bad, and I no longer have to switch it off when it plays. Listen to it especially for the guitar at the end.

10.  Indian Summer – Manic Street Preachers

I just found out that an “indian summer” means “a period of warm or mild weather in late autumn or early winter”. Which makes more sense to me because in India there is no such thing as summer; the weather is always either hot or hot and wet. Like, what are seasons even?

11. Summer Nights (Summer Lovin’) – “Grease” Original Soundtrack

Even if your school never had a theater program, it’s almost a given that you’ll have heard this song before. Anyone wanting to recreate this song on the Ryan Field bleachers/in front of the Rock/absolutely anywhere at all has my full permission.

12. Summer Wind – Frank Sinatra

Even though technically this song is about a summer fling, there’s just something so much more sophisticated about this song that calling it a fling would be doing it a great injustice.

13. Summertime – My Chemical Romance

One of my absolute favorites from MCR’s latest album, the lyrics are a bit dark but hey, the title of the song means it belongs in this playlist. (Notice how I said “latest” instead of “last”? Another example of me living in denial.)

14. Summertime – Sidney Bechet

Though most of us are familiar with the versions of this song with lyrics, this jazzy instrumental cover is by no means less than perfect. Fun fact: Did you know that there are more than 25,000 recordings of this song?

15. Summertime – The Click Five

This is literally cotton fluff translated into a song. With lyrics that aren’t too deep, a catchy melody and five cute guys thrown into the mix, what’s not to love?

16. Wipe Out – The Surfaris

This guitar riff with its distinctive cackle is inseparable from the concept of surfing. Listen to it on repeat even if you’re not out hitting the gnarly waves, duuude.

— Aditi Bhandari