‘The Wedding Singer’ unites Northwestern alumni

Tony+Allen+%28Robbie%29+and+Aja+Wiltshire+%28Julia%29+star+in+a+Chicago+production+of+%E2%80%9CThe+Wedding+Singer.%E2%80%9D+Many+Northwestern+alumni+are+involved+with+the+show+as+well.+
Photo Source: Carol Cohen
Tony Allen (Robbie) and Aja Wiltshire (Julia) star in a Chicago production of “The Wedding Singer.” Many Northwestern alumni are involved with the show as well.

The infamous “purple mafia” is everywhere. Frankie DiCiaccio (Communication ’12), Judy Steele (Communication ’83) and Jeff Meyer (Communication ’12) are all Northwestern alumni working together on a production of “The Wedding Singer” at Theater Wit in Chicago. The show opens Oct. 20, with previews beginning Oct. 13.

“It makes it easier to enter a rehearsal room and know that there are people there that you already have a bond with and can depend on,” Meyer said. “The whole cast is very warm and loving and funny and great to be around.”

Meyer, an ensemble member in “Singer,” notes that many NU students are proud of their school, giving them a way to connect with alumni over common interests.

Cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago are hotspots for artists, directors, dancers, choreographers and actors who are part of the NU network, said DiCiaccio, who plays an understudy to the character George and a male swing in the show.

Even at his auditions he cites Alex Weisman, casting assistant, “insanely successful actor” and NU graduate, as “helpful in getting (him) into the show.”

“It’s beautiful to be able to show up to an audition and see people you know and have a common history with,” DiCiaccio said.

Meyer, DiCiaccio and Steele all discovered the NU theater program in their own way. Meyer arrived to campus with the intention of being a psychology major but found himself spending more and more time involved in theater productions as a freshman and decided to switch majors sophomore year.

DiCiaccio chose NU because of its huge theater community and the availability of acting opportunities — with not only University-programmed shows but also 10 student companies that produce student-run seasons.

Steele said the School of Speech (before it became the School of Communication) really set her up to have a set of applicable skills and gave her experience in theater. In addition, he said it provides a basis in liberal arts that can serve alumni well if they deviate from their major after graduation.

“It’s always fun to work with Northwestern alums because you have a similar language,” Steele said. “People see Northwestern (on a resume) and assume you know what you’re doing.”

“Singer” is based off the 1998 romantic comedy of the same name, starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, and tells the story of a loveless wedding singer in 1985 who manages to cause disaster at every wedding he attends. He falls in love with an admiring but engaged waitress and must pull off an amazing performance to finally find true love.

“Singer” director Jess McLeod (Communication ’11) is yet another graduate of NU. Steele, DiCiaccio and Meyer had nothing but high praise for their fellow Wildcat.

Steele, who plays Rosie in the production, said she appreciates how McLeod wove her character into the story.

“She’s still the wacky and bizarre character, but Jess has made it more a story about these people and why they do what they do,” Steele said.

DiCiaccio send McLeod sends out emails of links to YouTube videos and articles from the time period of the show. This keeps the show from being “schticky” and instead makes it “fun and true.”

DiCiaccio encourages NU students to “escape the bubble of Evanston” and come see “Singer.”

“A lot of students waste their four years without realizing how easy it is to access the treasure trove of Chicago, and there’s no excuse for that,” DiCiaccio said. “Not only is it a great production and fun, but you get to see people who only a few years ago were in your shoes.”