With gang conflict ‘heating up,’ Evanston police find bullet holes in car

Police said a call of shots fired led them to a car with bullet holes Tuesday evening, possibly the latest flashpoint in a gang conflict near the Chicago-Evanston border.

Officers responded to the report at about 6:45 p.m. in the 700 block of Dobson Street, where someone told police he was shot at but provided no further information, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The vehicle was found nearby in the 100 block of Custer Avenue.

While police were investigating the call of shots fired, they received another one across the Chicago border in the 7500 block of North Hoyne Avenue, Parrott said.

“Police stopped several individuals believed to be involved but no identification was made during the investigation,” Parrott wrote in an email to The Daily.

Officers arrested a 19-year-old man who refused to “move along” before and after the first report, Parrott said. The man was charged with disobedience to police.

The incidents happened within a one-mile radius of the Howard Street CTA station, around which Evanston police have been stepping up their presence due to an ongoing rift between two gang factions, Parrott said.

“Although it’s been quiet for a couple of weeks, it appears it’s been heating up,” Parrott said.

The shots fired calls came less than a week after a 15-year-old boy was shot in the same area.

Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada said the boy was hit in the lower back and leg while riding his bike at about 6:20 p.m. Friday in the 7400 block of North Hoyne Avenue. Someone emerged from a silver minivan, fired several times in the boy’s direction and fled in the car.

The boy was taken to St. Francis Hospital, where Estrada said he was last listed as in stable condition.

Parrott said police are aware the boy’s shooting may cause more violence and are “deploying resources” accordingly.

“The uptick of potential violence because of that shooting is probably going to continue,” he added.

Twitter: @PatrickSvitek