Former Ald. Maxine Lange remembered for community activism

Maxine Lange, a former Evanston alderman and activist, died Monday at the age of 81.

Lange served on City Council from 1971 to 1979 and was also a teacher and health care administrator.

“She believed people in the community were the most important,” said Beth Lange, her eldest daughter. “She felt that by building connections with people, she could help form a vibrant, strong community.”

Her family members said her passion for politics led her to join organizations throughout the city.

She served on the board of Youth Organizations Umbrella, an Evanston-based youth development agency.

Maxine Lange was a founding member of the Evanston Community Foundation. She worked with the League of Women Voters, Services for Adults Staying in Their Homes and the Evanston Public Library.

“It’s hard to keep track of everything she was a part of,” said Robert Lange, her son. “She was on the board for so many organizations that ranged from planning commissions to helping in our synagogue, the Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation.”

During her time as the alderman of the city’s 9th Ward, Maxine Lange worked to make Evanston a dining destination when restaurants became eligible to get liquor licenses in the 1970s, her daughter said.

Maxine Lange also helped found the Downtown Evanston Farmers’ Market, which is now in its 38th year.

“She was so engaged, active and passionate about the community,” Beth Lange said. “She wanted to make change, not just talk about it.”

Maxine Lange was raised in Chicago’s Humboldt Park neighborhood but moved to Evanston in 1962.

Aside from her community contributions, she had many friends with whom she enjoyed world travel and the vibrant culture in the Chicago area, according to family members.

She is survived by her husband of 59 years, Charles, as well as three children and five grandchildren.

A funeral service was held Wednesday morning at Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation, 303 Dodge Ave.

Twitter: @SabrinaRod1