Evanston hosts new Community Resource Day

Evanston residents learned about health care, employment and legal help at a new event for the city Tuesday.

Interfaith Action of Evanston, the Greater Chicago Food Depository and the city of Evanston sponsored Community Resource Day, which took place from 8-11:30 a.m. at the Robert Crown Center, 1701 Main St. Tables included representatives from the Evanston Public Library, the Evanston Health Department and Childcare Network of Evanston.

The day also included an appearance by the Producemobile, which has been coming to Evanston every month since December to distribute free fruits and vegetables to residents in need. Producemobile coordinator Paul Traynor said between 300 and 400 residents pick up food there each month for their families. Traynor, a board member of Interfaith Action Evanston, said the food reaches between 1,200 and 1,400 people in the Evanston area during that time period.  

Although the Producemobile attracted a crowd larger than Community Resource Day did, organizers said they hope to continue both events to assist the city’s neediest residents.

Jill Skwerski, community engagement librarian at Evanston Public Library and organizer of Community Resource Day, said she envisions the program to be a year-round event that delivers even more resources to the community, such as blood pressure screenings, a station for enrolling in health insurance and more educational opportunities for bilingual residents.

Elizabeth Lezark, a regular volunteer for Producemobile, said the program is an exciting opportunity to meet new people and bring Evanston residents together for a common cause.

“They seem happy with us,” Lezark said. “I think it’s going to continue for a while.”

Traynor also said he was pleased with the inaugural Community Resource Day. He said he encourages residents to come and volunteer, especially as winter approaches and Producemobile works toward its ultimate goal — ending hunger.