Street Style: Do it like a dude

Alix Kramer takes the male Lucky Brand sweater and pairs it with a dress and wedges.

I’ve never had guys as friends before. I come from a family of all girls, and my friend group all through high school happened to be dominated by females. Therefore, it was novel and exciting to borrow my friend Ben’s cardigan for a trip into Evanston, and I fell in love with the idea of borrowing and wearing boys’ clothes. Although it’s a very old fashion trend, the atmosphere of college makes it accessible to most students. And, two weeks later, I still admittedly have the cardigan.

Girls can always rock guys’ clothes. There are a few things to be wary of, though. First, it’s usually safest to borrow a top or a sweater. Jeans are manufactured much differently for guys, and it’s likely that guys’ jeans, even from a guy of the same build and size, won’t fit right. If you’re looking for the slouchy mens’ jeans look, invest in a pair of “boyfriend jeans.” They look like mens’ jeans but they are made for girls, so they are flattering and fit well. It’s also nearly impossible to find a guy with the same shoe size as you. If you like a men’s shoe, buy it from the store; you’ll be more likely to find your size and you’ll be able to see if it looks as good on you as it does on that boy you’ve been checking out.

When wearing a guy’s top, make sure to preserve a feminine element in the look. Fashion blogger Sandra Hagelstam of 5inchandup.blogspot.com recently did a look promoting Gant menswear’s new Rugger campaign, where she dressed in a men’s shirt and jeans. She stays feminine with black pumps and a white purse. One of the most classic looks is a womenswear suit (modeled after menswear) with a bright red lip.

I wore Ben’s cardigan with a bright pink crop top and high-waisted jeans. Pairing a men’s cardigan with high-waisted jeans lets the look stay slouchy on top while still preserving the feminine figure on the bottom. I also wore Zack’s Lucky Brand sweater with a dress and Lucky Brand wedges.

So the next time you’re hanging out with a guy friend and you’re cold, ask to borrow a sweater … forever.

— Alix Kramer

Street Style: Do it like a dude