Mike Greenberg fires up fans, crowns Homecoming king and queen

ESPN Radio host Mike Greenberg (Medill ’89) had four words for Northwestern fans tonight.

“This. Is. Our. Time.”

After leading the Homecoming Parade down Sheridan Road, Greenberg fired up students and alumni, who packed Deering Meadow for a pep rally in advance of tomorrow’s football showdown with Ohio State.

Optimism about the team’s chances against the favored Buckeyes was in the air. Greenberg said tomorrow — beginning in the morning with “College GameDay” and continuing through the 7 p.m. kickoff — will be the day NU shows the nation it has arrived as a football power.

“Tomorrow morning at 8 o’clock, millions of people all over the country are going to get up and they’re going to turn on their televisions, and you want to hear what they’re not going to see?” Greenberg asked the crowd. “They’re not going to see Tuscaloosa, Alabama. They’re not going to see Athens, Georgia. They’re not going to see South Bend, Indiana. They’re not going to see Columbus, Ohio. They’re going to see Evanston, Illinois.”

Greenberg also was tasked with crowning the annual Homecoming king and queen. Weinberg senior Demetri Elias and SESP senior Kiley Naas were selected from a Homecoming Court of 12 seniors.

Before Greenberg spoke, University President Morton Schapiro and football coach Pat Fitzgerald took the stage. Fitzgerald led the crowd in chants of “Let’s go Cats” and asked the auidence to show up in full force for the Wildcats’ prime-time matchup with the Buckeyes.

“It’s going to be a great, great time tomorrow. We’re looking forward to representing all of you the right way by playing with great discipline, great passion, and executing the way that we’re capable of,” Fitzgerald said. “And about 10:15, 10:30, tomorrow night is going to be the best party Evanston’s ever seen.”

Joseph Diebold