Vitamin C, cough drops help students survive cold season

With the start of a new school year, the following are inevitable: an obnoxious class of incoming freshmen, the onset of numerous “stress-related” class absences and becoming ill.

How do you keep this from happening? The plethora of medical sites available on the Web all suggest similar ways to prevent colds and flus. One such suggestion is the use of a vitamin C supplement. One I have been taking since childhood is Emergen-C, a powder you can mix into water that contains 1,000 mg of vitamin C.

Another way to reduce irritation is to regularly wash your bedding. Sheets and pillowcases can harbor dust mites, which can affect you whether or not you have allergies. Washing your bedding at least every three to four weeks and washing pillowcases once a week should eliminate any harmful bacteria or allergens. Wiping down light switches, door handles, cell phones, keyboards and other commonly touched items with antibacterial wipes can also help nip sickness in the bud.

What if you have already come down with a cold? Recovery can be slow and difficult, especially if you are stressed about school and extracurricular activities. If you feel congested, try getting a small humidifier for your room. The extra moisture in the air should help unblock a stuffy nose. If you have allergies or are sensitive to seasonal changes, an over-the-counter antihistamine can help relieve symptoms. Make sure to get a non-drowsy version if you are planning to use it during the day.

So you’re sick, and you’re trying your best to recover, but you still have to go to class. To avoid being the person that continually sniffles and snorts throughout the day, try drinking a hot beverage before or even during class. Although tea has often been lauded as the ultimate recovery fix, any hot drink can help relieve a sore throat or soothe a cough. Hot water with lemon, tea with honey or even coffee should do the trick. If you have a cough, be sure to bring plenty of cough drops to class. Though the relief is temporary, it can help to have something to distract you from your raw, scratchy throat.

Getting sick is bound to happen, but it doesn’t have to ruin your daily activities. Stay healthy, Wildcats.

Twitter: @brookeCwanser