Northwestern drops to 22nd in world university rankings

Joseph Diebold, Campus Editor

Northwestern fell three spots to No. 22 in a Thomson Reuters ranking of the world’s best universities for 2013-14, released Wednesday.

NU scored 77.1 out of 100 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings scale, which weighs 13 metrics comprising four main areas: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. NU was 16th among schools in the U.S., four spots lower than its 12th place showing in the U.S. News & World Report rankings released last month. In the world rankings, NU dropped behind the University of California, Berkeley; the University of California, Los Angeles; the University of Michigan and Cornell University.

The University of Chicago moved up one spot, from 10th to ninth.

NU was lauded in the rankings for its citations and research, though it lagged in the international outlook category relative to its competitors.

The California Institute of Technology led the rankings for the third straight year, followed by Harvard University and the University of Oxford. Stanford University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology rounded out the top five. 

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly identified the California Institute of Technology. The Daily regrets the error.

— Joseph Diebold

About the Writer
Joseph Diebold, Web Editor

Joseph Diebold is one of The Daily's managing editors and a Weinberg junior. His past positions include Campus editor, Opinion editor and Web editor. He...