Police: Robbery suspect’s driver swiped stolen credit card

Patrick Svitek, City Editor

Evanston police said they caught a robbery suspect Tuesday night after his driver used a stolen credit card at a gas station.

At about 11:40 p.m., officers responded to a robbery near the intersection of Mulford Street and Custer Avenue, according to police. A 23-year-old woman from Evanston told them a man approached her with a pair of pliers and said, “Give me everything you have or I’ll shoot you.”

Chicago police helped Evanston police find the man in the parking lot of Dominick’s, 1763 W. Howard St. The woman identified the man as Curtis Crawford, 45, and he was arrested.

Crawford, of the 2100 block of 49th Court in Cicero, Ill., was charged with aggravated robbery. Auteshia Williams, 27, who was driving the car Crawford was in before he was arrested, was charged with forgery for using the woman’s credit card at the gas station, police said.

Williams, of the 100 block of Clyde Avenue in Evanston, and Crawford are scheduled to appear in court Oct. 25.

— Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor
Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant City editor, copy editor, reporter and designer. He is from Fort Wayne, Ind., and has interned at the Chicago Tribune, the Huffington Post, Medill News Service, Patch, The Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne,...