Updated: Evanston man shot to death in Kansas

An Evanston man was shot to death Monday night in Kansas, according to officials.

On Tuesday, Hutchinson, Kan., police identified the man as Sem Adrien, a 2005 graduate of Evanston Township High School whose address was once listed as the 1700 block of McDaniel Avenue. Adrien, 26, was in Hutchinson for a temporary job with theKansas State Fair, according to an organizer.

Police said they discovered Adrien critically wounded about 11:32 p.m. Monday in the 400 block of East 8th Street. Adrien was pronounced dead at Hutchinson Hospital.

Reno County District Attorney Keith Schroeder said authorities suspect foul play in Adrien’s death. Schroeder declined to comment on whether any suspects have been identified or if anyone is in custody.

Hutchinson is about 50 miles northwest of Wichita and home to the Kansas State Fair.

Adrien helped set up the fair’s grandstand stage as part of a short-term job that lasted two or three days and ended Friday, said Denny Stoecklein, general manager of the fair.

Adrien had four brushes with the law this summer in Hutchinson, according to police records. He was arrested twice in August, each time involving allegations of public intoxication. The first arrest came after a motel employee told police Adrien had damaged property. The day before his death, a 74-year-old woman reported he trespassed at an apartment.

Police records show Adrien has been arrested in Evanston at least twice since last summer. He was charged with pointing a gun at someone in July 2012 and with driving under the influence of alcohol in March.

A Hutchinson police sergeant declined to comment on the incident Tuesday evening.

— Patrick Svitek