OfficeMax to open in downtown Evanston

Jeanne Kuang, Assistant Summer Editor

OfficeMax is coming to downtown Evanston, a city official confirmed Wednesday afternoon.

City manager Wally Bobkiewicz said the office supply store will open in Sherman Plaza, located on Sherman Avenue between Church and Davis streets. Crain’s Chicago Business reported Wednesday that it will move in by the end of the year.

Bobkiewicz said he does not know when the store will open. An OfficeMax spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday afternoon.

This will be the second OfficeMax in Evanston. The Naperville, Ill.-based company also operates a store in Evanston Center, 2255 Howard St. The new OfficeMax, however, will be a Business Solutions Center — a smaller store that caters to local entrepreneurs with personalized Web and marketing services — according to Crain’s.

News of OfficeMax’s plans was first reported Wednesday by Crain’s, following the opening of an OfficeMax Business Solutions Center in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood Tuesday. The Streeterville store is the third Business Solutions Center in the country.

Patrick Svitek contributed reporting.

— Jeanne Kuang

About the Writer
Jeanne Kuang, In Focus Editor

Jeanne is a Medill senior studying journalism and political science. Her past positions at The Daily include managing editor and campus editor. The Southern California native is also involved with The Medill Justice Project. She has previously worked for The Sacramento Bee, The Star and NBC Los Angeles. You can reach Jeanne via Twitter or email.