D65 selects temporary leadership team

Evanston/Skokie District 65 this morning named D65 veteran Barbara Hiller its chief administrative officer, helping to fill the vacancy left by former Superintendent Hardy Murphy.

The D65 board unanimously voted to appoint Hiller, who retired in 2005 after nearly three decades working for the district. The board also picked business manager and treasurer Mary Brown to serve as interim superintendent and fulfill district obligations under state law.

The decisions came two weeks after Murphy’s resignation went into effect and three days before the first day of school.

In a brief special meeting, board president Tracy Quattrocki said the district wanted a temporary leadership team that is not interested in permanent jobs, stays cost-neutral and does not create any “holes” in existing staff.

Brown will remain business manager and treasurer as interim superintendent. As chief administrative officer, Hiller will assume most day-to-day responsibilities that Hardy had.

“We really wanted someone who knew the district and could come in on the first day and hit the ground running,” Quattrocki said of the pair.

Hiller, who most recently served as assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, told the board she is “extremely excited” to take on the new role. Brown said she is “quite honored” to serve as the district begins its search for Hardy’s permanent replacement next month.

Patrick Svitek