Northwestern extends women’s basketball coach Joe McKeown’s contract through 2017

Women’s basketball coach Joe McKeown has signed a contract extension through 2017, Northwestern announced this morning.

In his five years leading the Wildcats, McKeown has brought in impressive talent. Sophomore forward Maggie Lyon was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year last season and incoming freshman forward Nia Coffey represented the United States at the FIBA Under-19 World Championship this summer.  McKeown’s 71 wins at NU are more than the Cats had in the nine years before he took over.

“It is an honor to be part of the Northwestern family,” McKeown said in a news release. “People like President Schapiro and Dr. Phillips have ignited and energized our university and athletic department. … Our goal is the same as when I was hired; to recruit the top players in the country and provide them with a quality student-athlete experience during their time at Northwestern. It is great to be a Wildcat!”

McKeown is the fourth NU coach whose contract extension has been announced this offseason. Seven coaches had their contracts extended over the summer, and the other three names will be released in the coming weeks.

— Josh Walfish