Police: Teen sexually assaulted, robbed near Chicago-Evanston border

Ciara McCarthy, Summer Reporter

A man sexually assaulted and robbed a 19-year-old woman Tuesday morning near the Chicago-Evanston border, police said.

Police are still looking for the man, who they say grabbed the woman around the waist while she was walking on the Chicago side of Howard Street. He dragged her to the Evanston side of the street and sexually assaulted her in the gangway of a building in the 1700 block of Howard Street, police said.

The woman broke free and alerted a Chicago police officer who was passing by near the intersection of Howard Street and Dodge Avenue, according to authorities. Chicago and Evanston officers were unable to identify or locate the man, who was described as black, having a dark complexion, and wearing a blue baseball cap and black T-shirt.

The woman’s purse, which police say was dropped at the scene, was missing following the incident.

The woman was treated for minor injuries and met by an Evanston Victim Advocate at St. Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave., police said.

— Ciara McCarthy

About the Writer
Ciara McCarthy, In Focus Editor
Ciara is a Weinberg senior majoring in American Studies. Her past positions at The Daily include editor in chief, managing editor, city editor and reporter. The Bethesda, Maryland native is also a Brady Scholar in Ethics and Civic Life. She previously interned for Slate and The Marshall Project. You can reach Ciara via Twitter or...