Schapiro wraps up 13-day trip to China, South Korea

Source: University Relations
University President Morton Schapiro meets with journalists in South Korea. He came back this week from a 13-day trip abroad.

University President Morton Schapiro returned this week from a 13-day trip to meet with Northwestern students and alumni in China and South Korea.

Schapiro visited San Francisco before flying to Xi’an, Shanghai and Seoul. University spokesman Al Cubbage said Schapiro talked with alumni, potential donors and members of the media while abroad.

“The purpose is to increase Northwestern’s visibility overseas,” Cubbage said.

Schapiro gave six interviews to news outlets in China and South Korea, according to the University.

The president is known to travel abroad to speak and raise money, having made 21 trips to 11 countries in the past four years.

“It definitely helps the reputation of the university if we have a president going abroad,” Cubbage said.

Schapiro met with NU students in Xi’an and alumni in Shanghai, the University said. In Seoul, he also talked with parents, students, alumni and friends of the University and discussed the University’s long-term goals.

Schapiro’s visits serve to attract more international students to the university, Cubbage said. He added that Schapiro’s meetings allow current students and alumni to give advice to incoming students, who often attend the president’s events.

Schapiro was joined by Robert McQuinn, vice president for alumni relations and development, and Kathleen Gerlach, director of development.

— Jeanne Kuang