Police: Convicted killer among 2 men caught with loaded weapons

Police arrested two felons in connection with weapons possession Tuesday afternoon, including a man who was convicted in an Evanston homicide in 2005.

Officers spotted 27-year-old Blair Aikens, who was wanted for a Pennsylvania narcotics warrant, at about 4:30 p.m. in the 1800 block of Brown Avenue, police said. Aikens was with Antoine Hill, a 27-year-old former resident of Evanston.

When the officers approached the two men, police said they fled on foot. Officers found two loaded 9 mm handguns when they caught up with Aikens and Hill.

Police have tied Hill to an ongoing feud between two families in Evanston. In 2005, Hill was found guilty of second-degree murder in the shooting of a 22-year-old Evanston man inside The Keg of Evanston, formerly 810 Grove St. Hill was released on parole last year.

Police spotted Aikens and Hill in the neighborhood where Evanston teen Justin Murray was fatally shot last fall. Police have linked Murray’s death to the feud.

Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said the arrests “directly impacted” any violence the two may have had planned.

Aikens and Hill were both charged with unlawful use of weapons by felon. Hill was also charged with resisting a peace officer, as well as a violation of his parole.

Aikens, of the 9300 block of Karlov Avenue in Skokie, and Hill, of the 7400 block of Ridge Avenue in Chicago, are scheduled to appear in court July 31.

— Ciara McCarthy