Updated: Man dies after falling on third rail at CTA station on Howard Street

A man died Sunday night after falling on the electrified third rail at the CTA station on Howard Street, officials said. The El stop is near the Chicago-Evanston border.

Daily file photo by Meghan Morris

Patrick Svitek, Summer Editor

A 26-year-old Glenview man died Sunday night after he accidentally fell on the electrified third rail at the CTA station on Howard Street, officials said.

The man fell off the El platform at about 7:15 p.m. and was electrocuted upon touching the third rail, said Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro.

CTA spokesman Brian Steele said a second person jumped down on the tracks and tried to save the man but was unsuccessful.

Jeffery Lavalle, of the 1700 block of Harrison Street in Glenview, was taken to St. Francis Hospital in critical condition and pronounced dead at 8:08 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. His death was ruled an accident.

The incident briefly stalled El service at the CTA station near the Chicago-Evanston border, causing some residual delays on the Purple, Red and Yellow lines, according to the CTA.

Patrick Svitek

About the Writer
Patrick Svitek, City Editor
Patrick Svitek was City editor of The Daily. His other past positions include managing editor, online managing editor, Web editor, City editor, assistant City editor, copy editor, reporter and designer. He is from Fort Wayne, Ind., and has interned at the Chicago Tribune, the Huffington Post, Medill News Service, Patch, The Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne,...