‘Midwestern craft tavern’ Farmhouse gets Evanston opening date

Farmhouse Evanston on Facebook
Farmhouse has been chronicling the progress of its soon-to-open restaurant at 703 Church St. on its Facebook page. The self-described “Midwestern craft tavern” is expected to open early next month.

Farmhouse, a self-described “Midwestern craft tavern,” is opening its doors in Evanston on July 1, general manager Aaron Steingold said Wednesday.

The Chicago bar and restaurant, which specializes in Midwestern craft beers and locally grown ingredients, will move into its second location at 703 Church St., which was previously occupied by Futami Sushi Lounge.

Earlier this year, the Evanston Public Art Committee endorsed Farmhouse’s plan to install a mural behind the bar.

Steingold said the opening may be delayed up to a week. Although Farmhouse will at first be only open for dinner, the tavern plans to soon serve lunch as well as brunch on the weekends.

Farmhouse Chicago has been open since 2011, and was recommended in the 2013 Michelin Guide Chicago.

“It is a busy, buzzing tavern feel with a really fantastic choice of food,” Steingold said. “We are very casual, yet we present a very sophisticated menu and style of service as well.”

Steingold said the restaurant aims to “support the local little guy” by doing business with farms in the area. Farmhouse is also employing Evanston residents, including “quite a few Northwestern students,” he said.

— Jeanne Kuang