Evanston facilities closed in preparation for storm

Jia You, City Editor

Evanston closed all non-emergency facilities at 3 p.m. today to brace for a coming storm, officials said.

The National Weather Service predicts the city may experience severe thunderstorms, strong wind, hail and potential flash flooding this evening due to a severe weather system moving into Illinois.

The city shut down all offices, public beaches, libraries and community centers. Meetings scheduled for this evening were also canceled.

Residents who lose power due to the storm should register their outage with ComEd, city manager Wally Bobkiewicz said on a conference call. They can also report their outage to the city as a second resort. Bobkiewicz said residents with other concerns should call 311, and those requesting emergency assistance should call 911.

The Evanston Police Department will lead efforts to help the homeless, Bobkiewicz said on a conference call. The city may open an emergency shelter at the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., he said.

— Jia You

About the Writer
Jia You, City Editor
Jia You was the City editor of The Daily. Her other past positions include assistant City editor. She is from Shenzhen, China, and has interned at the Medill Watchdog Initiative and Women’s eNews. Her other campus commitments include Typhoon Dance Troupe and NU Asian Magazine, where she was the web editor. Comments