Stier: Ani Ajith’s comments on Dinesh D’Souza event inappropriate

Stier: Ani Ajiths comments on Dinesh DSouza event inappropriate

On May 20, Northwestern’s College Republicans hosted conservative commentator and author Dinesh D’Souza to speak on the controversial topic of diversity. We were excited to bring an audience together that included both supporters and challengers of D’Souza’s ideas. Our intention from the beginning was to create a discussion about a new perspective of diversity.

The event also included a large gathering of protesters of D’Souza’s views, and though they refused our invitation to hear and participate in the discussion, we hope they will consider other perspectives in their own discussions and contemplations of the issue. We were surprised, however, to read that Associated Student Government president Ani Ajith participated in this protest, and it was especially disappointing to see that he was quoted making some striking statements. We hope and expect him to reconsider his harsh words.

First, we would like to make it very clear that College Republicans does not endorse any of D’Souza’s ideas, just as we do not endorse the ideas of any speaker we bring to campus. Even within our own organization, some students supported what he had to say, while others did not agree with some or any of his ideas.

Contrary to popular opinion on campus, College Republicans are not racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic or any other such label. As such, we do not host racist, homophobic, sexist or xenophobic speakers, and we find it incredibly disturbing that Ajith would choose to publicly suggest to the student body that we hosted D’Souza for an event of “hate speech and bigotry.” Such an opinion displays a considerable lack of understanding of D’Souza’s ideas.

Had Ajith attended our event, he would have seen someone wishing to critically engage the morality and effects of affirmative action, a widely debated and unresolved discussion that is highly relevant to NU.

Had Ajith attended our event, he would have seen someone who profoundly supports diversity. D’Souza clearly and ardently argued universities should teach students a high degree of diversity, but questioned whether current diversity courses accurately teach students about other cultures, a legitimate question for consideration.

Had Ajith attended our event, he would have heard the main point of D’Souza’s speech, which was that intellectual diversity is one of the most important aspects of a university education. For the most part, the NU diversity movement has been monotonous in its discussions and views, and our event aimed at opening up that discussion to other perspectives and theories. Ajith very clearly discriminated against intellectual diversity and tolerance of other ideas, despite his duty to represent all students at NU. By calling D’Souza’s ideas “hate speech and bigotry,” Ajith not only marginalized those students who may have supported D’Souza’s theories, but he also marginalized anyone who wanted to hear and discuss this new perspective. This is clearly not the tolerance and open-mindedness students should expect from the president of ASG.

Furthermore, it has come to our attention that the reason the protests occurred outside of Ryan Auditorium, rather than inside via tough questions challenging D’Souza’s argument, was rooted in group funding. Student groups who receive their funding through ASG are assessed based on the success of their events. In my opinion, the protesters chose to sit in the hallway in order to hinder NUCR’s funding for hosting future speakers, and the fact that Ajith chose to join this protest further demonstrates a blatant disregard for not only diversity of opinions but also our future ability to bring any conservative opinions to campus. Since Ajith serves as president of the group that approves our funding, his actions are all the more egregious.

College Republicans expect our members, supporters and speakers to be treated fairly and equally. We do not appreciate being publicly cast as bigots by association. Ajith’s actions and statements about the event were inappropriate and disrespectful to our organization and university education in general.

Dane Stier is a Weinberg junior and former president of Northwestern’s College Republicans. Current president Rebecca Schieber, a Weinberg sophomore, also contributed to this column, which represents the views of the NUCR Executive Board. Stier can be reached at [email protected]. If you want to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].