Blotter: May 29

Cellphone stolen at Starbucks 

A thief stole an Evanston resident’s mobile phone during a visit to Starbucks on Saturday night.

The 23-year-old woman was doing work at Starbucks, 519 Main St., between 7:15 and 8:05 p.m. Saturday, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The woman said she only remembered one stranger approaching her table that night and did not see the actual theft take place, Parrott said.

The Samsung Galaxy phone is worth about $900, Parrott said. Detectives are working with the store to investigate the case, he said.

Woman arrested for using someone else’s debit card

Evanston police arrested a 44-year-old Chicago resident Friday morning in connection with trying to use a lost debit card.

The manager of CVS Pharmacy, 101 Asbury Ave., reported the woman entered the store and picked up a few items offered for sale — including Bagel Bites, Starbucks coffee and nail polish — and then tried to use a Visa debit card to purchase them, Parrott said. However, the card was issued to a different name than the name stated on the identification the woman provided.

Police officers asked the woman where she got the debit card, and she confessed that she found in the store’s parking lot, Parrott said. Further investigation showed the woman also purchased a $50 gift at a nearby Walgreens, 7510 N. Western Ave.

The woman was charged with retail theft, possession of a lost debit card and identity theft, with the latter two being felonies, Parrott said.  She is scheduled to appear in court June 3.

— Ina Yang

View Blotter: May 29 in a larger map