Men’s Basketball: Northwestern releases 2013-14 non-conference schedule

Northwestern fans will have to wait until Nov. 9 to see new coach Chris Collins in a regular season game.

NU on Tuesday released its complete 13-game, non-conference schedule, which features three true road games and a trip to Las Vegas. NU will open Nov. 6 with an exhibition against Lewis before beginning the regular season three days later against Eastern Illinois. The Panthers are one of four in-state opponents on the Wildcats’ schedule.

NU’s three road contests take the team to Palo Alto, Calif., on Nov. 14 to take on Stanford; Chicago on Nov. 20 to take on Illinois-Chicago; and Raleigh, N.C., on Dec. 4 to take on North Carolina State in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The Cats lost to both the Cardinal and Flames last season at home and beat the Wolfpack when the two teams last met in December 2009.

The Cats will once again play in a tournament in late November with the Las Vegas Invitational on Nov. 22-29. NU will play four games, including two as the home team Nov. 22 and Nov. 25 against opponents to be announced later, as well as two games Nov. 28 and 29 against either Missouri, Nevada or University of California-Los Angeles. The Cats have won a tournament during the season for each of the past two seasons, taking the Charleston Classic in 2011 and the South Padre Island Invitational in 2012.

The final four games before Big Ten play begins will all be at home, with Brown and Mississippi Valley State returning to Welsh-Ryan Arena, along with Western Michigan and cross-town rival DePaul. The Blue Demons have not played the Cats since 2008, when NU won 63-36.

NU’s conference schedule will be released later, although the Big Ten has announced Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin will all make trips to Evanston for the 2013-14 season.

Josh Walfish