Schapiro receives honorary degrees from Garrett, Notre Dame

University President Morton Schapiro received honorary degrees from the University of Notre Dame on Sunday and the Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary on Friday.

Schapiro was one of six recipients of honorary degrees at Notre Dame’s 168th commencement ceremony. Schapiro gave the address at Garrett’s 156th commencement.

He received an honorary doctor of laws degree from Notre Dame, which described him as “a leading authority on the economics of higher education and college finance and affordability.” Other recipients of honorary doctor of laws degrees included a nun who was influential in the civil rights movement and the chairman of one of the country’s largest construction companies, along with Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York and Notre Dame’s commencement speaker.

At Garrett, Schapiro received an honorary doctorate of humane letters and addressed more than 80 graduates at the ceremony Friday.

“I couldn’t be more pleased to have Dr. Schapiro as our commencement speaker,” Garrett president Philip Amerson said in a news release. “His dedication to learning, expertise in the economics of higher education, and experiences as a person of faith make him the perfect person to provide our graduates with final thoughts as they leave Garrett-Evangelical. Moreover, we are honored to award Dr. Schapiro with an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters.”

Cat Zakrzewski