Men’s Swimming: Freestyler Matthew Margritier leaving Northwestern

Sophomore freestyler Matthew Margritier has left the men’s swimming and diving team and dropped out of Northwestern.

Margritier cited “mostly personal and academic fits” as his reason for leaving the school. He also made it clear that his decision had nothing to do with the swimming program itself.

“It’s been something that I’ve struggled with on and off,” Margritier said. “I’ve struggled with putting myself above the team because I respected them all so much. I was finally able to get myself over that hump that I needed to be selfish for myself for the future and that was when I was able to make the decision.”

Margritier notified the coaches April 29 of his departure and has already returned home to Leawood, Kan.

Margritier said he is still looking to swim at his next school. He said he is not sure where he is heading yet, but it will not be in the Big Ten.

“Even if (NU) had said you could transfer within the conference, I wouldn’t do that,” Margritier said. “I couldn’t compete against my former teammates like that.”

Margritier said he isn’t afraid of sacrificing the team and athletic fit for a better all around fit.

“We thank Matt for his contributions to our program over the last two seasons and we wish him nothing but the best in the future,” the NU swimming and diving team said in a statement.

Margritier was the second fastest NU swimmer in the 50- and 100- meter freestyle in the 2012-13 season. He was also an integral part of three relay teams: the 200 medley relay, 200 freestyle relay and 400 freestyle relay.

— John Paschall