IM Frisbee: Flick’s Law pulls out impressive win

Two+members+of+Flick%27s+Law+relax+with+some+post-game+practice+after+a+big+win.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Two members of Flick's Law relax with some post-game practice after a big win.

Kevin Casey/The Daily Northwestern

Kevin Casey/The Daily Northwestern

Kevin Casey/The Daily Northwestern

Kevin Casey, Reporter

On a warm, sunny day at Long Field, two teams waged a close, tough battle of the disc with the men of science coming out on top.

Flick’s Law, a team composed of chemical engineering seniors, defeated a streaking Subprime Hucks squad 5-3 on Tuesday. The Hucks ranked sixth in the white league after victories in their first two contests, while Flick’s Law held a middle rank of 14 after a win and a loss, both by 2 points, to start the season.

In addition to the lower ranking, Flick’s Law had yet to face the type of defense the Hucks had to offer. But as team captain Michael Simon noted, the engineers solved the equation pretty quickly.

“They had a zone defense which we hadn’t played up against yet, and we haven’t really worked with,” Simon said. “But we were able to keep moving the zone with short little passes, working down field, crisp, clean catches, and our defense was pretty strong and physical.”

Still, the victory did not come easily. The Hucks actually came out firing and scored 3 of the game’s first 4 points. In a bit of a hole, Flick’s Law buckled down and rattled off 3 straight points to take the lead. The team then sealed it with its 5th and final point of the game.

While the early part of the game didn’t exactly go to plan, Simon said the Hucks’ fast start actually helped out his own squad.

“It was a really quick score at 3-1, and I think that helped a lot,” the senior said. “We got together and discussed how to break that zone, and quick, short passes is how we ended up doing it.”

Flick’s Law could move into the top 10 in the rankings after such an impressive win. The team was pleased with the victory, but IM sports is about more than winning — it’s also about a good time with friends.

Flick’s Law team member Jacob Townsend said the fun starts in the team name.

“We are the Chem-E team, and there’s Flick’s Law of Mass Diffusion. And we named our team after that as a pun on the engineering equation,” Townsend said. “We aren’t only physical and athletic — we are witty and smart.”

About the Writer
Kevin Casey, Sports Editor

He has worked as an assistant editor and a reporter for the Daily in the past. He is from Duxbury, Massachusetts and has interned at Comcast SportsNet...