Blotter: May 7

Evanston resident charged with assault at Burger King 

Evanston police arrested a 47-year-old resident Friday in connection with aggravated assault at Burger King.

The resident got into an argument with a man over a pack of cigarettes early Friday morning at the fast food restaurant, 1740 Orrington Ave., Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The argument escalated and the resident grabbed the man by the neck and pushed him back.

The resident then took a box cutter from his pocket and verbally threatened the man before fleeing the scene, Parrott said. Officers found someone who matched the description at 1560 Sherman Ave.

The man who was threatened identified the resident later, Parrott said. After further investigation, officers also found a marijuana pipe among the man’s belongings.

The man was charged with battery, aggravated assault and drug possession. He is scheduled to appear in court May 23.

Multiple cases of shots fired in Evanston over weekend

Police received several reports of shots fired over the weekend.

There have been multiple reports of shots fired in various places in Evanston over the weekend.

Shots were heard in the 1500 block of Cleveland Street and at the intersection of Emerson Street and Brown Avenue on Sunday, Parrott said. He said all the cases are under investigation, and he cannot comment on whether they are related.

Officers believe a report of shots fired Sunday afternoon may be related to one earlier in the morning, Parrott said. In most of these cases, officers were unable to locate anything at the reported scene.

— Ina Yang

View May 7 in a larger map