Actor, Northwestern alum Zach Braff teaches School of Communication master class

Former “Scrubs” actor Zach Braff (Communication ‘97) led an acting workshop for theater students Monday afternoon. Students were able to perform select scenes from Braff’s play, “All New People.”
Source: Facebook

Zach Braff (Communication ’97) returned to his alma mater Monday to teach a class to members of the Northwestern theater community.

The actor, who is best known for his role in the NBC sitcom “Scrubs,” taught a master class through the School of Communication that was only available to a limited number of students. Most students watched the class while a select number of upperclassmen  performed, workshopping scenes of Braff’s first play, “All New People.”

Communication sophomore Quinn Rattan, who watched the class, said Struble Theatre in NU’s Theatre and Interpretation Center was full with about 80 students.

As a “big fan of Scrubs” and a student interested in comedy, he said he was excited to watch someone who was accomplished in that genre.

Communication sophomore Jacob Trauberman said he enjoyed watching Braff’s “writing come to life.”

“He would go up after (the scene) and give his compliments and his tweaks, essentially fine tune things,” Trauberman said. “He had pointers like, ‘Oh, this is what we learned in the production of the show. If you hit it like this, it works a little better.'”

Communication freshman Kees Devos recalled one pointer that resonated with him, especially about comedic acting.

“He said, ‘Sometimes you can’t always go for the joke because it will undermine who your character is,'” Devos said. “It’s very applicable to the theater world.”

Trauberman said Braff’s direction and suggestions were appealing because they could apply to everyday acting as well.

Rattan and Trauberman both described Braff as relatable and funny.

Even before his workshop, Braff joked on Twitter about being back on campus.

“Northwestern University, I’m back. Are we good at sports now? #Wildcats,” he tweeted.