Northwestern’s Qatar campus graduates second class

A class of 33 students graduated from Northwestern’s Qatar campus Sunday, marking the school’s second graduation since it opened in 2008.

Of the Class of 2013, which boasts 15 Qatari nationals, 16 students received degrees in journalism and 17 received degrees in communication. For the first time, several students graduated with certificates in Middle East studies.

“This graduating class has accomplished an incredible amount in their four years at NU-Q,” said Everette E. Dennis, dean and CEO of NU-Q, in a release. “Our seniors have produced, filmed, animated, edited, directed, researched, written, reported and broadcast no less than 500 works during their time at university.”

Dennis also said 24 of the 33 graduating seniors have made the Dean’s List at least once, with a grade point average of 3.75 for communication and 3.7 for journalism.

Qatari writer and filmmaker Sophia Al-Maria, who wrote “The Girl Who Fell to Earth,” gave the keynote speech at the ceremony. H.E. Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim Mohammed Al Thani, director general of Al Jazeera, University President Morton Schapiro and Dennis also spoke.

Dana Atrach was named valedictorian at the President’s Lunch on Saturday.

“I am always proud to say that this not a branch campus; along with our campuses in Chicago and Evanston, this is one of the three Northwestern University campuses, and our students and faculty here are every bit as good as our students and faculty in the U.S.” said Schapiro at the lunch, according to a news release.

— Cat Zakrzewski