Updated: Northwestern sophomore Dmitri Teplov has died, officials say

Source: Stuyvesant High School 2011 Yearbook
McCormick sophomore Dmitri Teplov, pictured as a senior in his high school yearbook, died this morning. He was 20 years old.

McCormick sophomore Dmitri Teplov, 20, died this morning, according to Northwestern officials.

Teplov, a native of New York City, was pronounced dead at 10:06 a.m. at the Pancoe-Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Life Sciences Pavilion, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. Cause of death has not yet been determined.

The preliminary investigation into Teplov’s death indicates it was a suicide, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said in an email to The Daily.

Dean of Students Todd Adams made the announcement this evening to a group of students at Foster-Walker Complex, where Teplov lived. Adams later spoke to students at the Technological Institute.

Teplov was a Murphy Institute Scholar, an invitation-only McCormick research program.

“On behalf of the University, I extend our condolences to Dmitri’s family and friends,” said Patricia Telles-Irvin, vice president for student affairs, in an email to the NU commuinty. “We always feel deeply the loss of a member of our Northwestern community.”

Plex area coordinator Tiffany Gonzales first announced Teplov’s death to the dorm’s email list in a message sent at 8:45 p.m.

“On behalf of (Associated Student Government) and the undergraduate student body, we extend our deepest sympathies to Dmitri’s family, friends, and classmates,” ASG president Ani Ajith and executive vice president Alex Van Atta said in a statement. “The loss of one of our own is always sorrowful, and we must stand with each other in this time of mourning.”

— Staff report