Classic shows that deserve a second chance

“Arrested Development” and “Boy Meets World” are both receiving second chances. In a month, the new season of  “Arrested” will premiere on Netflix, and “Girl Meets World” will relaunch as a spin-of.

With the majority of the original casts returning and dedicated directors and writers, these new seasons should satisfy fans. However, not all classic and cult TV shows should be brought back, and that leads me to my list of shows that deserve to be rebooted and ones that should remain in the past.

Revive:

“Pushing Daisies”

In this fairy-tale dramedy, Lee Pace played Ned, a murder-solving pie maker who could bring the dead to life with one touch. As long as Pace and Kristin Chenoweth remain on the cast, “Pushing Daisies” will be as brilliant as before — and more successful if re-branded correctly.

“Heroes”

As a superhero-obsessed person, I knew I was going to be a dedicated watcher of “Heroes,” and for the first two seasons, the show didn’t disappoint. With its “save the cheerleader, save the world” plot line, I was hooked. Then, due to some poor writing and plot choices, the show went down in quality, and NBC canceled it. This show had such a variety of characters that a new cast with a few original members would still work with the show’s format.

“Veronica Mars”

The fundraising success on Kickstarter for a movie based on the show proves it remains popular. With a silver screen version in the works, creating a new season of the show to help resolve some plot points and lead into the movie would be helpful, even if only for one season.

Leave alone:

“Friends”

When I heard a rumor a few weeks ago about a new season, I was at first thrilled, then horrified. “Friends” has one of the best series endings of all time, and with the exception of a reunion episode, the show should remain untouched.

“Firefly”

Disclaimer: I have yet to finish all the episodes, but judging by its passionate fan base and inclusion on many TV fans’ lists of best cult TV series, I had to include it. After some extensive Google research, my conclusion is that the risk of ruining what is such a beloved show is not worth trying. Having the original cast and timeline is too critical.

Freaks and Geeks

I may or may not have watched all 18 episodes of this show over a 28-hour period last week. That’s how addicting this show is. With James Franco, Jason Segel and Busy Philipps, this has probably one of the most star-studded television casts ever. That cast, Judd Apatow and Paul Feig are what made the show great, and without all of them, the show won’t have the same chemistry, and honestly, that’s what made it worth watching. At most, this deserves a “where are they now” special for the characters.