Ring in spring with some classic titles

Ring in spring with some classic titles

Spring is (finally) creeping up and I have found myself re-watching titles I once loved as a teenager. Below, I list a few movies I think everyone should watch in time for spring. They’re fun, easygoing and appeal to a wide variety of audiences. If you have free time, which can be rare here at Northwestern, I strongly encourage popping in one of these enjoyable flicks.

“The Breakfast Club”

This ’80s high school classic is a movie every person should see at least once, preferably many more times than that. It’s witty, relatable and claimed its fame as a young adult cult classic featuring everyone’s favorite actors and actresses of the time. Students representing each of the high school stereotypes initially come together as strangers and enemies, but leave with a greater understanding of themselves and others. This is a movie for the ages and one of my absolute favorites. It’ll leave you thoughtful and wishing your high school experience was a little cooler.

“Almost Famous”

When one of my good friends begged me to watch this movie, I figured she was exaggerating when she talked about how this was the “best movie ever.” Though I don’t like to use superlatives of that nature, “Almost Famous” is a wonderful and uplifting story about a young journalist chasing his dream. You’ll relate to the struggle of trying to fit in, all while figuring out life and love. This coming-of-age classic weaves together cool elements of rock and roll and the awkward interactions of a 15-year-old beautifully and should be a must-see on everyone’s list.

“10 Things I Hate About You”

Despite mediocre ratings, “10 Things I Hate About You” is a movie I could watch over and over again without ever getting tired of it. Heath Ledger play a tumultuous and snarky pair who bond over their inaccurate but wildly well known reputations in school. With young romance, a sunny high school and humorous family dynamics, this movie has all the elements of a spring romantic comedy.

“13 Going on 30”

Although it may not appeal to the entire male demographic, this comedy definitely shaped my teenage years. Jennifer Garner’s character wakes up after her 13th birthday and finds herself as a 30-year-old woman, set with a stellar job and athlete boyfriend. This tale reflects on the relationships that are truly meant to last and how growing up sometimes means growing apart. Although the plotline is far-fetched at times, the story is way too charming to pass up.

Ring in spring with some classic titles