Schapiro: No Northwestern-related injuries at Boston Marathon bombing

University President Morton Schapiro said this morning Northwestern has not heard yet of any members of its community hurt in the deadly explosions that went off during the Boston Marathon on Monday.

“As I’m sure was the case for all of you, I was truly shocked and saddened by the horrific attack that occurred yesterday in Boston,” Schapiro said in a statement. “It was a startling and powerful reminder of the fragility of life and how things can change in literally an instant.”

“Our hearts go out to those killed or injured in the attack and to their families, and on behalf of the University, I extend our sympathy and support,” Schapiro added.

At least two runners with ties to NU were in Boston for the annual race, which was disrupted when two bombs detonated near the finish line at about 2 p.m. The back-to-back blasts killed three people and injured 140 more.

McCormick senior Richard Barbera, president of the Northwestern Triathlon Club, had finished the marathon and was about two blocks away eating at a restaurant at the time of the incident. A doctor from the Feinberg School of Medicine who specializes in working with marathon runners was also involved in the event. University officials said the doctor is safe but unavailable for comment.

—Patrick Svitek