Updated: Top ASG official quits to focus on Edward Tivador campaign

Steven Monacell, former vice president for community relations, speaks at a January session of the ASG Senate. Monacelli recently resigned from ASG to devote more time to the campaign of Edward Tivador, who is looking to unseat Ald. Judy Fiske (1st).
Daily file photo by Susan Du

A key member of Associated Student Government said Wednesday night he has resigned to devote his time to the campaign of 1st Ward challenger Edward Tivador.

Steven Monacelli, who was vice president of community relations, has served as the University’s de facto liaison with Evanston on a host of student issues, including the so-called “brothel law.” His resignation became effective at the final Senate meeting of Winter Quarter.

“He knows how strongly I feel about the student residents and Northwestern,” Tivador said. “He’s a great match to get that message across.”

Monacelli said while serving on ASG he kept an “arms length” away from the individual campaigns due to his involvement with NU Votes, a nonpartisan initiative to register student voters. He explained he made personal comments about the campaign on Facebook but was not involved in canvassing or groundwork.

In a letter to the editor Thursday, the Communication senior says he feels it is “both necessary and proper” to make his choice known for the 1st Ward race, which pits Tivador against incumbent Ald. Judy Fiske.

“He did not leave in disgrace,” said ASG speaker Ani Ajith, a Weinberg junior. “He left to continue serving Northwestern students.”

Ajith said Monacelli’s replacement won’t be named until a new administration arrives at the end of this month. Mike Morgan, the ASG off-campus senator,  serves on the community relations committee and said its work would not stall in the absence of a vice president.

“Each member of the community relations committee is working on their own individual project and has the drive and initiative to see it through,” the Weinberg junior said.

Monacelli is set to leave NU in June and already has a job secured for after graduation. He said that although he will no longer be a student at NU, he still wanted to be involved with the campaign.

“The long-term implications of the election are huge,” Monacelli said. “It has a huge impact on future experiences of students at Northwestern.”

— Staff report

This story has been updated with comments from Monacelli, Tivador and Ajith.