Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl endorses Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) in City Council election

Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) speaks at last weeks candidate forum at the Public Affairs Residential College as challenger Edward Tivador looks on. Fiske picked up an endorsement this morning from Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl.
Melody Song/Daily Senior Staffer
Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) speaks at last week’s candidate forum at the Public Affairs Residential College as challenger Edward Tivador looks on. Fiske picked up an endorsement this morning from Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl.

Evanston Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl has endorsed Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) for the City Council election in April, the Fiske campaign announced Monday.

“Judy works hard for the 1st Ward, and I can always count on her to be extremely well-informed no matter what we’re discussing,” Tisdahl said in a news release. “She has shown real leadership on the City Council, working with me, the other aldermen and city staff to forge compromises and do what’s right for the entire city.”

Fiske said she was “honored” by Tisdahl’s support and emphasized her local roots.

“Voters in the 1st Ward deserve an independent voice who is not beholden to special interests, and that’s why my campaign does not accept the support of outsiders who are trying to influence our local politics,” she said in a news release. “So Liz’s endorsement means a lot to me because she shares my goal of doing what’s best for the 1st Ward.”

Former state Sen. Jeff Schoenberg and the Evanston firefighters union Local 742 endorsed Fiske’s opponent, Edward Tivador, on Thursday. The election will be held April 9.

— Jia You