This week we’re obsessed with: TED

Although I like procrastinating on homework by reading BuzzFeed and Tumblr as much as the next student, I also enjoy reading more serious or thought-provoking articles online. I’ve been a Thought Catalog junkie for several years, but recently a close friend recommended I look up the website TED, which has become my new obsession.

TED began in 1984 as a conference with the purpose of bringing together the three worlds of technology, entertainment and design. Throughout the years, TED has evolved to include other industries and invites various influential people, often leaders in their respective fields, to give an 18-minute talk at their annual conference. They’re dedicated to “ideas worth spreading,” and in 2006, they took a giant leap to make these talks more accessible to the public by posting them online. Since 2006, more than 14,000 talks have been posted on ted.com with subtitles in various languages.

TED involves a bit more of an emotional and time investment than most websites because the videos are nearly 20 minutes long. However, they can be truly inspiring and are worth the commitment. The talks cover all topics, from education reform to racial injustice in America’s legal system to the possibility of another universe existing beyond our own. TED has a talk for anyone’s interests, and the speakers are always incredibly engaging, moving audiences to minutes-long standing ovations. The website doesn’t focus specifically on recent developments in different industries, either; it includes a wide array of motivational speeches about life, love and vulnerability, as well. For example, in memory of Steve Jobs’ passing away in October 2011, TED posted Jobs’ 2005 Stanford University commencement address, which focused on how to accept life’s setbacks and triumphs. And one of TED’s most-viewed and most prolific talks, Brene Brown’s “The Power of Vulnerability,” is a discussion on humanity and the importance of connection, which shapes how we love, empathize and feel a sense of belonging. “The Power of Vulnerability” was the first TED talk I watched, and I was crying 10 minutes into it. Brown’s talk resonated with me in an indescribable way and launched me on a journey of self-evaluation, as cliche as that may sound. I’m not sure whether the content of the talk or the serendipitous timing of it in my life was the reason it made such an impact on me, but after that, I was hooked on this website. In addition, TED encourages viewers and readers to join an ongoing discussion or start a new conversation. And even the comment threads often pose engaging, thoughtful and respectful discussions among TED followers.

TED offers a great place for ideas to be exchanged all over the world on a variety of topics and is a refreshing break from the Northwestern bubble. I go there when I need a distraction from homework and when I need a reminder there’s more in the world than the next midterm, paper or party.

This week we’re obsessed with: TED