Evanston invites public comment on Firemen’s Park renovation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Final concept design for the Firemen's Park.

Courtesy of Engage Evanston

Courtesy of Engage Evanston

Courtesy of Engage Evanston

Jia You, Assistant City Editor

Evanston started an additional public comment period Monday regarding the final concept design for the city’s Firemen’s Park renovation project, according to a city news release.

Initial input came after community meetings in January and February to discuss the project, according to the release. The renovated park, located on the southwest corner of Maple Avenue and Simpson Street, would feature two play areas, a memorial space for fallen city firefighters and a fire truck as a historic feature. There would also be bicycle racks, benches, a lawn area, a drinking fountain and security lighting.

The project would use $310,000: $235,000 coming from the Capital Improvement Fund and $75,000 expected to come from the the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant. However, the city estimates the federal sequester may cut the grant by as much as $40,000, according to city documents.

Bidding for the project will take place in the summer, and construction is expected to last through fall, according to the  release. Interested residents can view the concept plan on the city website or contact Stefanie Levine, assistant superintendent of the city’s parks, recreation and community services department.

The public comment period will run through March 11.

— Jia You

About the Writer
Jia You, City Editor

Jia You was the City editor of The Daily. Her other past positions include assistant City editor. She is from Shenzhen, China, and has interned at the...