College Democrats pick women’s rights activist Sandra Fluke for Winter speaking gig

Northwestern University College Democrats is bringing women’s rights activist Sandra Fluke to campus as its Winter speaker, the organization announced Tuesday.

Fluke, a Georgetown Law graduate, first gained national attention when, in response to her Congressional testimony on the importance of affordable access to birth control last February, Rush Limbaugh called her a “slut” and a “prostitute” on the Feb. 29 edition of his radio show. She parlayed the ensuing controversy into a nine-month tour as a surrogate for President Barack Obama, including a speaking gig at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.

“Some of you may remember that earlier this year, Republicans shut me out of a hearing on contraception,” Fluke said Sept. 5 at the DNC. “In fact, on that panel, they didn’t hear from a single woman, even though they were debating an issue that affects nearly every woman. Because it happened in Congress, people noticed. But it happens all the time. Too many women are shut out and silenced.”

Fluke will speak March 11 at 7 p.m. in Fisk Hall. Tickets for the speech will be free at the door.

— Joseph Diebold

This story has been updated to reflect a change in location for Fluke’s talk.