Evanston Fire to showcase new engine in open house

Evanston Fire and Life Safety Services will display its new eco-friendly 2012 Pierce Engine/Pumper at an open house Saturday.
Courtesy of the City of Evanston

Evanston Fire and Life Safety Services will host an open house Saturday to display its new environmentally-friendly fire engine.

Firefighters have spent the last few weeks preparing Engine 25 for service. The engine, a 2012 Pierce Engine/Pumper, allows for fewer carbon emissions than older models, according to a news release. Instead of releasing dark smoke into the air, the engine cleans its own exhaust and emits only water and nitrogen into the atmosphere.

“It is a perfect fit for our community,” Fire Chief Greg Klaiber said in the release.

It also features LED lighting and a computer terminal for receiving incident information and conforms to new National Fire Protection Association standards. Firefighters will equip the engine with complemental medical and fire equipment.

The eco-friendly engine will respond to calls from an equally green fire station.

Evanston Fire Station 5, 2830 Central St., achieved Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification at the GOLD level from the U.S. Green Building Council, according to the release. It is the first fire station in Illinois with LEED certification.

The department will host the open house from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday at the station.

— Jia You