Q&A with Eco-Reps president Brenna Ledvora

The Eco-Reps are a group of Northwestern students committed to engaging and educating their on-campus peers about sustainable living. They’re members of their hall governments and Greek exec boards, proud owners of snazzy green T-shirts and leaders in NU’s movement toward a more ecologically viable future. The Current recently spoke with Eco-Reps president Brenna Ledvora to discuss this environmental assemblage.

The Current: How did the Eco-Reps start, and what role do they play in maintaining NU’s sustainability?

Brenna Ledvora: The Eco-Reps have been around for a while, but this year, it underwent a change. The Office of Sustainability took it under its wing, and they decided to make the Eco-Reps more involved in sustainability on campus.

Our major goal is to raise awareness about sustainability; since we’re all in the dorms, we’re a really great mouthpiece for (it). Additionally, we work with the environmental groups on campus to try to implement changes in residential living (to) make Northwestern more sustainable. We focus on individual changes that students can make, as well as dorm-wide changes.

The Current: What do the Eco-Reps do to help with Green Cup?

BL: We do a lot to help with the Green Cup. First, since we’re in the dorms, we publicize a lot. We make sure all students know what the Green Cup is, and we make sure they know ways that they can reduce their energy and water usage. We’ve also organized our own Green Cup event, NU Earth Hour.

The Current: What sorts of green initiatives do you have planned for the future?

BL: We’ll be working more within the dorms — we have something called a Green Room Certification that’s currently being worked on and will actually be out pretty soon. That’s where students can take a test online and get their room “green-certified” if they’re living sustainably. Each quarter we have a focus: This quarter was energy and water because it went along with Green Cup, and I think Spring Quarter it’s going to be recycling.

The Current: What do you have to say to people who choose paper over PDF?

BL: Obviously there are some circumstances where you have to use paper, but if you can, I think that Internet is a wondrous thing and that we can use it for a lot of things.

The Current: What are the biggest environmental problems in our dorms right now?

BL: There are a few. I would say one is a lack of awareness — I don’t think a lot of students know what they can do. For example, there are plastic bag recycling bins in all the dorms. There’s battery recycling bins in all the dorms. You can rent clothes-drying racks so you don’t have to always use the dryers. And then a second issue, besides lack of awareness, is — I don’t want to say laziness — but just not a strong excitement about sustainability. I think that’s another thing that Eco-Reps do: Get students engaged with sustainability on campus.

The Current: On that note, what’s your favorite tree?

BL: We had an oak tree right outside my house, but I think I’m actually allergic to it, so not that. I guess I like Christmas trees.

The NU Green Cup continues until Feb. 28.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.