CTA to suspend Purple Line Express for several days in March, April

Doors will be closing on the CTA’s Purple Line Express trains during two periods in March and April. During those days, the express trains that run to and from downtown Chicago will stop running for construction on the Wells Street bridge and repairs to CTA tracks.

Mariam Gomaa/Daily Senior Staffer

Jia You, Assistant City Editor

The Chicago Transit Authority will suspend Purple Line Express service to the Loop for two periods in March and April due to reconstruction of the Wells Street Bridge over the Chicago River, according to a news release Monday.

CTA will suspend service of the Purple Line Express, which services downtown Chicago, March 4 to 8 and April 29 to May 3. Regular Purple Line trains running from Howard to Linden stations will not be affected. Chicago-bound riders going to Chicago can transfer to Red Line trains at Howard station.

The change in service results from the Chicago Department of Transportation’s reconstruction of the Wells Street Bridge, according to the release. CDOT will close the 90-year-old bridge to rebuild portions of the structure during each nine-day segment.

At the same time, the CTA will replace tracks on and near the bridge. Other projects scheduled to be completed include rebuilding the track junction at Lake and Wells Streets and replacing tracks in the curve just north of the Merchandise Mart.

Coordinated construction will minimize the impact on riders and save overall construction costs, CTA spokeswoman Catherine Hosinski said. The two agencies expect to save $500,000 by doing the work during the same time periods, according to the news release.

“CTA is piggybacking on the work (of CDOT) to avoid future construction costs,” she said.

CTA will offer additional bus service, shuttle buses and rerouted trains to replace interrupted train service on the Brown Line, according to the release.

— Jia You

About the Writer
Jia You, City Editor

Jia You was the City editor of The Daily. Her other past positions include assistant City editor. She is from Shenzhen, China, and has interned at the...