Evanston gluten-free bakery to open new eatery in Highland Park

The owners of Rose’s Wheat Free Bakery and Cafe, an Evanston gluten-free bakery that was saved over the Christmas holidays by Lake Forest investor Marcus Lemonis, will open a new Highland Park branch later this month.

Ina Yang/Daily Senior Staffer

Sophia Bollag, Reporter

Roughly a month after an investor saved it from bankruptcy, a gluten-free bakery in Evanston plans to open a new store.

The owners of Rose’s Wheat Free Bakery and Cafe, 2901 Central St., will open a new branch in Highland Park later this month, according to a news release.

Named Rose’s Bakery, Cafe and Juice Bar, the new branch will be completely gluten-free, just like the original Rose’s. The new restaurant will feature a menu similar to the original and will additionally serve coffee, tea, organic smoothies and other beverages.

Marcus Lemonis, the investor who saved Rose’s from closing over the Christmas holidays, said his goal is to make Rose’s more profitable.

“As the new owner and partner of Rose’s, I am committed to not only keeping the business open but growing its customer base and having a successful and profitable business,” the Lake Forest resident said in the news release.

Lemonis, who was featured on the ABC show “Secret Millionaire” in 2012, plans to star in another reality television show, according a separate news release from business news channel CNBC. In “The Big Fix,” Lemonis will invest in struggling businesses and help them revise their business models. The show is expected to air on CNBC in its primetime lineup.

— Sophia Bollag

About the Writer
Sophia Bollag, In Focus Editor
Sophia is the former editor in chief of The Daily Northwestern. She currently serves as In Focus editor, leading The Daily’s investigations desk. Her past positions at the paper include managing editor, web editor, city editor and copy chief. She has interned for The Texas Tribune and The Boston Globe’s Washington, D.C., bureau. In June...