New global rankings name Kellogg 13th best business school

After slipping for several years in some international business school rankings, the Kellogg School of Management has risen to the number 13 spot, according to Financial Times rankings released Monday.

Advancing three spots from last year, Kellogg was one of three Illinois universities to make the Financial Times’ 2013 Global MBA rankings, a list of the top 100 business schools worldwide. This year’s rankings mark Kellogg’s continued improvement in the publication’s annual list. Since 2011, the school has advanced eight spots.

However, while faring significantly better than the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign’s College of Business, which ranked 44, Kellogg continued to lag behind the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, which came in at No. 10.

Although Kellogg has improved in the Financial Times’ rankings, the business school continues to struggle in rankings compiled by The Economist. In October the magazine pegged Kellogg at No. 20, down two spots from 2011 and four from 2010. For that list, Kellogg again fell behind the University of Chicago, which took the first spot in 2012 and the second in 2011.

United States universities topped this year’s list, with Harvard University, Stanford University and the University of Pennsylvania taking the top three spots. The London School of Business & Finance came in at No. 4, while INSEAD of France and Singapore was sixth for the second year in a row.

The Financial Times determined the 2013 MBA rankings based on the survey responses of faculty and alumni from 155 universities in 28 countries.

— Lauren Caruba